Saturday, January 12, 2013

Come run with me


Dear Mark

I was thinking you should come along on a run with me. I've been putting in the miles again this New Year. I started it off with a 8.5 mile run on 1/1 and I've managed 18-20 miles a week since. Legs are feeling good. I even enjoy the cold weather to run in. I've even been out running with Rod which is a lot of fun. I have a group at work that I manage to get out with for a lunch time run around Lake Union 1-2x a week. 

I never would have thought after all the bicycling that I've done that I would be running more miles per week than riding. I giggle when people try to give me the winter weather as a reason to not ride when I use to commute 12 months a year. I think it comes down to time. Pre-Jack Lavinia and I had more time on our hands. Post-Jack, not so much. Not out of obligation or being stuck, not that at all. We both just want family time and enjoy that so much. I find when I have time to go for a 4 hour ride that I'd rather play Legos. 

When I run by myself I have tunes going. It's a pretty random shuffle mix. I've talked about it before. I think I'm only one on the planet that mixes Shakira (en espanol) with AC/DC and Lionel Richie with Living Colour, but I do. Most of the songs I listen to make me giggle and smile. When I ran the half marathon this past year with Rod we would take turns stating what song were listening to. He too has some random, but great, choices. 

I like running with my friends but I also enjoy a good solo run. What is missing most from the time not cycling is not my precious saddle sores as you would suspect but the time alone in my head to decompress and think. I always value that when I ride. It's like a mini mediation session rolled into an asthma fit. 

Here's the latest set of songs I listened to while running Lake Union. I thought you might understand some of the song choices. I suspect you'd have some rocking Gaelic fiddle music in your mix, followed by your secret stash of Goodness songs, mixed in with some Pearl Jam. I do wonder what Power Pop star/band you would have. You'll have to share that some time. 

Kim the Waitress - Sister Psychic
Starting out with this song was awesome. Always makes me think of Lavinia. I have this whole MTV video thing with her, me and Rod at the old Crocodile Cafe

Type - Living Colour
Always in the shuffle, a good driving song. The pace picks up a bit. 

Take Her Out Again - Alice In Chains
I actually liked the latest Alice record. It was nice to see Jerry Cantrell making music again. This song drives hard and sounds good. 

Cowboy Bebop Theme - Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts
I don't know if you have ever watched this Japanese Anime show. It's pretty good and the theme song is kicking. Check the link

Beautiful Day - U2
To me this song is about being hopeful and having optimism. nuff said. 

Beyond the Horizon - Screaming Trees
I'm a closet fan of these guys and this is one of my favorites from the earliest album. 

Scratch - 7 Year Bitch
If I was a baseball player this is the song I'd have the stadium operator play as I came to the plate. Awesome.

Cult of Personality - Living Colour
The only repeat band here this day, and while that shows iTunes shuffle is for crap, I was okay with it. 

All Along the Watchtower - Bt4
This version was on season 3 of Battlestar Galatica. I know it's sci-fi heresy but that was the season I gave up on BSG. The first 2 were really good, but the writers strike that year really hurt the show. Still this version of the song is hauntingly good. I never thought I'd own another version behind Jimi and Bob, but there you go. Thank Coverville too for playing it. 

There's Only One Way To Rock - Sammy Hagar
Indeed Sammy, indeed. I do find it funny that Sammy solo came up before any Van Halen. 

Espionage - Green Day
From the "Spy Who Shagged Me" soundtrack. This is all instrumental and a kicking beat to run to. 

Symphony of Destruction - Megadeath
I'm getting a bit tired of this isn the shuffle, but it rocks hard and the bass line drives. 

Space Age Love Song - Flock of Seagulls
This song is the reason for the post. As I'm finishing my 6 miles this song comes along. There isn't a song in the shuffle I like more. The reason is that it makes me think of Lavinia and how much I not only Love her but how amazing it is to remember falling in Love with her every day. I'd say it's our song but she's not a huge fan, we've never danced to it, but some how the lyrics just take me there. 

I think I must look like a simple grinning fool as I run. Other runners must wonder what I'm on. "What am I on? Good memories, what are you on?"

Still, on your left, 
Jeff 

No comments: