Saturday, December 18, 2010

Acrobat X and work

Dear Mark,

I've been working pretty hard this year at Adobe Systems. Being a manager and working at a tech company means that I can't often discuss work. There is one time though that I can scream about what I do to the hills, and there are quite a few in the northwest, and that is when my team releases a product. This year I've been working on the release of Adobe Acrobat X and Reader X. These are pretty big efforts when you consider how many platforms (operating systems and versions) and languages we support. The release is all over the www.adobe.com web site.

I'm a Quality Engineering Manager. My team tests the feature called Portfolios, which is a really big feature and has a lot of massive potential. I'm lucky that my team is awesome. I couldn't have made it through this year without them. It's one of the reasons I really like working at Adobe, because my co-workers are really good.

So that's what I've been working on this year. In the usual fashion as soon as we finish there are new projects and things to work on, so never a dull moment.

One thing about work that I can talk about as well, and you know a bit about this, and that is that I work in Seattle and the majority of my team is in San Jose, CA. Another group of close co-workers are in India. I've been lucky enough to work with the same group in India for several releases. This is challenging for sure, but something I've worked with for many years.

Adobe Seattle has its own culture and it is pretty cool. We have a a good facility. Recently we've stepped up the events at work in Seattle. One thing that I do, not surprisingly, is administer the cycling efforts. That means running the cycling email list, organizing events (like Bike To Work Day which Adobe sponsors in Seattle), stocking the work shop in our secure bike cage (Yes, we have a functioning work shop, neat huh) and other such things.

Just last week we had a holiday party. We had an ugly sweater contest and a best Santa photo contest. I'm happy to report that I won first place for my Santa photo submission. Although you won't recall this one first hand, you no doubt remember the photo.


I mean it was a sure win, right! What was kind of cool was that another co-worker had a photo and it was also a Frederick & Nelson's Santa photo. We swear that it was the same Santa, even though the photos were probably about 8 years apart. Plus, it was the first time that I really saw how much Jack looks like me when I was his age. I swear I've seen this same face from him.

We can't wait to see you both next week. We are really looking forward to seeing you!

Later,
Jeff

No comments: