Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Panamanian Mother's Day

Dear Lavinia,

I wanted to wish you a Happy Mother's Day. I think it will be funny to think about our American family that will read this post and wonder why I'm 6 months late in wishing you a Happy Mother's Day, but they will not know that Panama also celebrates this occasion. In fact, they will not know that this day in Panama is a very big deal. That this day ranks as a top day in the country, even ahead of Independence Day(s).

You are a wonderful mother to our son, Jack. I'm so happy to be on this journey with you. I know that we are both learning how to be parents at the same time, but I swear you stole the answers to the quiz from the Principal's office because you are doing so well. Every year I'm happy to celebrate this day because you deserve it.

Jack is lucky to have a Mami like you. Caring, compassionate, smart, funny, easy-going, insightful and with a sensibility that I hope he pays attention to.

This picture below is how I think of you. Encouraging him to stand tall, look forward, but letting him know you are near by to keep him safe.

I love you,
Jeff

No comments: