Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Alex

The other day in my local Starbucks a lady walks in with a dog... now that sounds like a start of some joke, but seeing this dog did not make me laugh. This dog was the spitting image of Alex. For those unfamiliar with Alex, he was a wonderful doggie that Tim and I acquired while living together at his house. At the time only Tim & I were living at his house, those were good times. Our summer roommates had moved out, we were eating top rammen to make the mortgage payment together (how very domestic of us), we had jobs (mine was higher paying but his hours were better), and we shared a second job delivering 275 papers a night.

Basically we were sleeping 2 hours, delivering papers, sleeping 2 hours and going to work. At least I was. I'm not sure when Tim slept. Oh wait, he did that on the job at Drug Emporium according to Jason. That's right.

One Sunday we were enjoying a swiped Sunday edition paper and Tim says "let's get a dog." Now I'm not sure if it was the lack of sleep or being happy that he was my only roommate or that we had talked about this forever or if we were just stupid (Vegas money is on Stupid btw) but we decided to go get a dog.

Answering an ad in the paper we went to see a litter of lab puppies. All these puppies were running and jumping and friendly. I fell in love right away with one, but Tim noticed this one puppy in the corner just chilliln. He was hairier than the others (the others looking like "regular" black labs, think Porter). When he saw Tim he wandered over and Tim picked him up. Seeing them together was all I needed. We paid our $40 to cover the med expenses and headed home with our new puppy.

Now you all may recall that Lavinia and I had Tito and Jac for 10 years. I loved those two puppies with all my heart and miss them desperately every day, especially now that we have Jack in our lives because I know those two would have loved him. So you must now know what it means to me when I say that Tito and Jac were riding to school on the short bus compared to Alex.

Alex was the smartest dog I've ever met. He had us trained in days. He was weened on Dick's Cheeseburgers and crappy college food. He was simply just a great dog. Although Tim was on title at the house it was really Alex's house. He had over 15 roommates by my count and ruled them all.

Alex passed away 2 years ago and his passing was really sad. It filled my heart with joy of rememberance when I saw this dog at Starbucks last week.

Alex lives on in my heart. I miss him.

No comments: