Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fall TV

I make no qualms about liking my TV shows. Our Tivo gets as much work in the house as the washer/dryer these days. TV has recently allowed me something to do while rocking Jack to sleep or just hanging out with little guy. This year's fall season has been better than most. Here are some highlights from my Tivo:

Shows that I've really enjoyed this fall season
  1. Reaper: My new favorite show. I was really surprised by this one. Created by Kevin Smith I was a little skeptical, but it really fills the void left by Joss Whedon's departure from TV. It is funny and the plot moves along. The supporting cast is great. I highly recommend it.
  2. Moonlight: I was very skeptical when the premise of the show sounded just like Angel. A vampire private investigator at conflict with his damned soul and there is a pretty girl involved? I guess I'm ultimately a sucker for that kind of plot. I could do with out the sappy love sub-plot and have more Vampire Kung-Fu Demon fighting myself though. The piece that I do like is the Magnum PI monologue that the main character uses throughout the show. An aspect that helped me quickly love The Dresden Files (damn you sci-fi for cancelling that show)
Disappointment shows from the 2007 Fall Season:
  1. Big Shots: Seems well done, but it is essentially Desperate Housewives for guys that like that stuff.
  2. Journeyman: I've only watched the pilot and I do have the rest of the season saved, but so far I find myself skipping over it too often.
  3. Shark: Not new, but they shook things up this season. Enjoying James Wood as a mean lawyer is the only reason to watch this.
Classic Shows always in the queue:
  1. Heroes - Last year's big hit and a lot of fun. I almost suggest just waiting for the DVD because the cliff hangers each week are brutal.
  2. Scrubs - first runs, repeats, all, as many as possible. I love this show. It always cracks me up.
  3. CSI - any flavor, Vegas, Miami, NY we love them all. The original is still the best, NY has some good stuff, and I just love the over-acting of David Caruso he slays me. Ask me to do my impersonation some day. By the way if you love the Horatio Cane one-liners you must check out this clip
  4. Stargate - Any flavor. Although SG-1 is no longer producing new shows, Atlantis is a lot of fun to watch. My favorite character is Rodney McKay for sure.
  5. Numbers - Fighting crime with Math? Brilliant! Plots are a bit of a stretch here and there, but a good hour of fun.
  6. Bones - David Boreanz will always have two loyal followers in myself and Lavi. The show is got some good comedy that helps you not take it too seriously.
  7. Top Chef/Project Runway - I dislike reality TV, but we love these shows. Good stuff.

Shows I watch because I feel I have to:

  1. Battlestar Galatica: I admit that the first season was really good, but the second and third only had moments of brilliance. The production value was great and Edward James Olmos is just brilliant. Apollo's character is mediocre and I'm hard to convince that being on the brink of human extinction that he would still have so many daddy issues. Starbucks character is well played, but this once tough female character is now just too fragile. Dirk Benedict is no doubt rolling his eyes. I glad that the 4th season is the last. I think it will give them a chance to end on a high note and I expect a faster paced season from them.
  2. Flash Gordon: I think I watch this only because it is on the Sci-Fi channel and the parts when you hear the old Queen theme song from the 70's movie.
  3. Lost: A lot like Battlestar. The first season was great, the second and third were luke warm as they stretched out the plot. I have yet to watch the last 9 episodes from last season. Just once on this show I want the characters to talk about what happened the week before. I mean seriously, a monster comes out of the jungle and eats one the pilot, are you not at all going to discuss that over rain water and a coconut?

Other shows found in the queue:

The Shield, Batman, Desperate Housewives, Oprah, Burn Notice, Dead Zone, 24

Shows I just miss:
There are shows no longer on TV that I just miss a lot and wish that TV Exec that cancelled it/them would suffer a hideous fate;
  1. Firefly - take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me. (c'mon you all know the words!)
  2. Dresden Files - This Sci-fi show was so much better than Painkiller Jane or Flash Gordon. I'm still upset it was cancelled.
  3. Profit - he was evil and we rooted for him to win, brilliant!
  4. Cheers, I still miss it.
Shows I would watch without question or like to see;
  1. Any show written by Joss Whedon
  2. Any show starring Sarah Michelle Gellar.
  3. Basically any show where the main character is good looking and fights evil. Hard to argue with that premise.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Firefly was the shiz-nit! It was recommended to me after it was already canceled, but thanks to NetFlix, I was able to rent Season 1. I then promptly had to buy Season 1 and then the movie. It still ranks in my Top 3-5 TV shows of all time. Never got into Buffy/Angel, but Joss will ALWAYS be the man.
Dave S @ Adobe

Jeff Moran said...

Dave, Thanks for the post. I still cry in my girly apple martini every year about how Fox cancelled this show. It was simply brilliant.

I should add, and I can't believe I forgot it, that Dr. Who is also very high on my Tivo list. You got to love the Doctor.