Monday, October 22, 2007

I read comic books, don't judge me

So I thought I'd post a little on my favorite comic books. Having Jack I see my responsibility as a father to expose him to the pleasure of comic books. I'll of course steer him towards all Marvel titles (Excelsior!), but be sure to show him the DC classics.

One series I'm enjoying right now is the "season 8" of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Written by series creator Joss Wheedon this series picks up supposedly right after the seventh season on TV ends. It is pretty good and I'm enjoying it. All of our favorite characters are there and so is the witty banter that made the show so great, along with the sub-plot story lines. Sure they are battling demons but it is really about being a teenager/young-adult and fitting. This is published by Dark Horse Comics, they also publish Hellboy which is a treat.


Another cool plot is by Marvel and deals with your friendlyl neighborhood wall crawler. His Aunt May has taken a bullet meant for him and Peter is desparate to make things right. This story hits a lot of good points, a lot more than I recall reading in the issues when I was a kid. I recommend picking it up. The sheer desperation is griping to read.


I'm also a sucker for all the Ultimate titles from Marvel. Basically a series line that allowed them to reboot many of their famous titles. It is a little like what we're seeing with Bionic Woman and Battlestar Galatica on TV. I've enjoyed most of the art and the new take heroes and villians that we've known for years is kind of neat.

Okay, I'm off to read Batgirl, which my buddy Joey dropped off for me. My boy Jack is sleeping and I think it's time to settle in for the night with a good comic book.

Excelsior!

Jeff

No comments: